The Federation of Prince Edward Island Municipalities:
- submits briefs to the provincial and federal government, and FPEIM representatives meet with government officials to address municipal issues.
- advocates changes in provincial legislation to assist and strengthen municipalities and monitors proposed legislation which could have implications for municipalities.
- responds to numerous requests from member municipalities.
- works with other parties to provide information sessions and professional development opportunities for municipal officials.
- publishes a monthly electronic newsletter.
- hosts two membership meetings each year – the annual meeting in April and the semi-annual meeting in October/November.
- provides members with the opportunity to benefit from discounted furnace oil rates.
- represents the interest of Island municipalities at the national level. The FPEIM president sits on the Board of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM).
The municipal order of government is closest to the people and enables citizens to have a say in local administration, planning and development. Although many Island municipalities are small, the problems and challenges facing them are demanding and becoming more complex, as land use planning, environmental issues, financial matters, and the legal implications of decisions become more serious concerns.
Because we are all affected by each others’ decisions and the decisions of the Provincial and Federal governments, it is important that we work together to address the challenges facing municipalities through a strong, united Federation. As a member, the voice of your municipality can positively impact government policies, legislation, and programs. The membership fee, which finances FPEIM’s operations, is a worthwhile investment.
Membership Fee Structure
Membership dues are based on a per capita basis with one minimum amount of $400.00. There is also a declining fee as the population increases. Changes to FPEIM membership dues shall be determined by the Board, except for increases in excess of the increase in the Consumer Price Index for PEI for the previous year or changes to the rate structure, which require approval of the accredited voting delegates at a general membership meeting.
2018-2019 Membership Dues
Population up to 5000: $1.806 per capita with a minimum of $400.00
Next 5000: $1.680 per capita
Next 5000: $1.554 per capita
Next 5000: $1.428 per capita
Next 5000: $1.302 per capita
Next 5000: $1.176 per capita
Next 5000: $1.050 per capita
Next 5000: $0.924 per capita
Membership Incentive Program
FPEIM offers an incentive program to new members for a period of three years. This program has been made possible through generous support from the Government of PEI. Through this program, new members receive a 50% discount in membership fees in the first year, a 25% discount in the second year, and a 15% discount in the third year.
To Join FPEIM
If you would like more information on how to benefit from FPEIM’s membership, please contact our office.
1 Kirkdale Road